Friday, March 31, 2006

Wanna Be(e)?

A 3-year old girl wearing her favorite yellow flowery frock, a frock that hardly covers her little diapi ran around the room thinking "Thank god, we have guests over!" Her heart sinks when she hears her mommy call her from across the room...She quitely walks towards her mom thinking "its okay! make the innocent face, it always works!".

Her mom takes her into her arms and asks "Chinni, why dont you tell Vijji auntie, Rama auntie, Saraswati auntie, what you want to be when you grow up?". The girl thinks to herself if it is a trick question and with her best innocent little face, "I wanna be a Butler!" she says. Ofcourse, the room fills with a hearty laughter! Though I, the little girl (yes, me and this is a real story) didnt knew then how people can laugh at such a fancy word like 'Butler' :)

Now as we grow up, we learn more fancy words and tell ourselves:
“I want to be Aishwarya Rai!”
or “I want to be the next Bill Gates!”

or sometimes even “I want to be Britney Spears!” – okay, now that’s not true but you get the point. We as humans wish to be Heroes in real life. We love to be praised about, walk into a room full of people and turn some heads around…bottom line, we crave for attention! People, who cannot agree with me, look back into yourselves…Honey, not into your shirt!

While this craving blindfolds us, did we forget to count our blessings? Did we forget to thank for what we have in our hands? Over dosage of this craving, fancily called aspiration, can even have the adverse effects of turning a normal person into a complete pessimist, when one of such “wanna be’s” flip over.

In short, is this some kind of a bee that stung us to always aspire to Wanna be someone else that we might not even actually be?

* While you all read that again and share your thoughts or what you wanna be, let me tell you that I am really (not that Oscar- winning-artificially-real, but really ) touched to see you all patiently wait for me to get back…Huggzz to ya! :)

14 Comments:

Blogger Obi Wan said...

1st comment!!!
To start with, welcome back to civilization, the junta really missed you. Coming to the post, I personally think that as long as we do not become obsessed about 'becoming' our heroes, 'tis perfectly OK to dream. It sets a goal in front of you, and if the destination is clear, then the road will be made somehow or the other. But as I said, it becomes dangerous when your life revolves only around that one aspiration.

Fri Mar 31, 09:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jackal said...

w/b Vamsee......tht's a nice post....almost everyone is running arnd like mad to be what they are not and in the bargain loose the chance to enjoy what they have/are....

Sun Apr 02, 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger My Ramblings... said...

Welcome back lady! :D
Tend to keep running towards something that we cant really see and we forget to be happy for what we have at hand...
When I was a kid I wanted to be a fighter pilot... ;)

Sun Apr 02, 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger Ekta said...

hah!
so true..isnt the frass always greener on the other side!
Well I so agree with what ur saying..times have changed--I remember when I was a kid and had just started readind the nancy drew books..I was sure I wanted to be a detective when I grew up..lol..those days!

Mon Apr 03, 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger Anand said...

Hi,
Came to your post thru sudarshan's!...and loved what uv written!
Well times have changed and sometimes kids today scare u with their maturity!...Every infant wants to grow up and be beautiful!...
I used to be addicted to cartoon and as a kid wanted to be he-man!:-))..

Mon Apr 03, 12:22:00 AM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

:) yes, most of us do want to be admired ... perhaps be the centre of attraction ... but, life is a journey and while pursuing our dreams, if we aren't thankful for what we have ... getting to the destination wouldn't be any fun ...

Mon Apr 03, 07:31:00 AM  
Blogger Jagan said...

welcome back ma'am .

u wanted to b a butler ?LOL :-)).

btw, th i hav stoped writing , i will cont to read blogs.

Mon Apr 03, 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Sudarshan said...

You're absolutely right here lol..most of the people in the world always want to be someone else, and they are sad and jealous about the current state of their lives. However, if looked at from an all-round perspective, a person's life may actually be far better than what he feels it is!!! Great comeback post:-)

Tue Apr 04, 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger curious said...

Hi! came to ur post thru sudarshan's..and this post made me very nostaligic..in fact will make anyone nostalgic. those days most of us atleast tried to be someone ordinary..my options always changed..i wanted to be a teacher, a taxi-driver (lol really loved travelling by cars),then when i started reading novels & watching movies I wanted to be one... atleast,HOW MODEST WE WERE!! HEHEHE..now all kids want to be shahrukh or hrithik or sachin, u will hardly come across one who wouldnt take one of those celebs names!...surely,kids of this generation seem to aim very very high!

Tue Apr 04, 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger చైతన్య said...

Have been to your blog earlier also once, but didn't comment.

Nice blog and Good post...

when i was a kid i wanted to be a teacher and my mom wanted me to be a doctor... but am neither of these now... just an another s/w eng...

Thu Apr 06, 06:57:00 AM  
Blogger Vamsee said...

Obi Wan - Yay u first! Thanks for missing me :) I agree with you on how dangerous can it get!

Jackal - Thanks and yupp I agree :)

My Ramblings - Thanks and fighter pilot huh, that'd been awesome! :)

ekta - Detective yeh , pretty kool :)

Anand/ He- Man - Welcome here :)

Anup - yupp, exactly my point :)

Jagan - Thanks! yeah the fancy title of Butler, with that unique cap I guess i found it very amazing :)

Suds - Yupp, I agree...Thanks :)

Curious - Welcome here :)Yupp i havent any kids say any regular proffessions these days...

Chaitanya - Thanks :) I guess join the "wanna-be-but-are-not" club of Junta here :)

Fri Apr 07, 09:26:00 AM  
Blogger SeePearrl said...

hey welcome back gal :)

"we crave for attention!" defly i totally agree..even a small appreciation and compliments makes a person's day :)

Co-incidently ...my latest post says wat my ambition was! :)

Sat Apr 15, 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said...

vamsee :

i waana be is very important and very useful if it can be a little realistic one, coz it defines a set of principles which you appreicate and understand and would like to imbibe them in you. But choosing what is very important, choosing someone on their looks or some co-incidencal success is bad, but someone who has consistency and depth in his character and you like that character, you can go for it.

I would like to be a , me , I guess :)

-ATG

Sat Apr 15, 06:22:00 PM  
Blogger Pradnya Rakesh said...

Cool..I like your blog, interesting topics you put up :)

Sun Sep 17, 12:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home